Monday, March 7, 2011

blog 1

The article by called “Hype” by, Kalle Lasen gives us a broader view on how advertisements are basically a part of our lives. From waking up, until late hours of the night, we constantly see commercials or ads posted all around us. The excerpt mentions that an estimated 12 billion display adds, 3 million radio commercials, and more than 200,000 TV commercials are viewed by Americans unconsciously.         
            It’s interesting how Pepsi and Snickers have ads in a classroom. To me that’s very smart marketing. If a child constantly see's the ad every day, they will eventually ask their mother to buy one or grow up with that unconscious feeling to buy one. 
             Lasn's article made me realize all the advertisements around me. On the bus, on the train, even at the gas station. I did relate because there was a Red Bull ad on the nozzle. It also gave me the impression that my car was being gassed up by Red Bull and it would later on in the day grow wings and fly over traffic. Funny.
            Kalle Lasn most important idea from this passage is how these advertisements pollute our minds. I understand what she means. It’s a marketing tool that company's use to sell their products. Marketing makes the consumer aware of new products so that we can go out and purchase them. We might find ourselves buying a product and not knowing why we purchased it. But the color, logo, or even a fragrance might just be the key to unconsciously making us spend money.
          

2 comments:

  1. I believe that I did pretty good for my first post. Hopefully by me reading every ones post will give me more ideas. Rebekah's blog made me realize that I need to put more information in my blog. Since she's a writer I can learn from her..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julio--I agree that you did quite well in this first post. For example, you recognized many of the important ideas in the reading and cited them by using the author's name and the title of the piece. You also connected ideas to your personal experience and had opinions such as how putting ads in classrooms is "smart marketing."

    One important suggestion I will make is that you take longer analyzing the reading so that you can connect to it better. For example, you correctly pinpointed that the author considers ads as "pollutants"--meaning that, like pollution, they are bad for our health--but did not make much of that opinion...

    ReplyDelete